Campfires
· Clear away dry leaves and sticks, overhanging low branches and shrubs.
· Watch children while the fire is burning. Never let children or pets play or stand too close to the fire.
· Attend to the campfire at all times. A campfire left alone for only a few minutes can grow into a damaging fire.
· Before you light the fire, check the wind direction.
· Keep a campfire small which is easier to control.
· Never use gasoline or other flammable or combustible liquids.
· If roasting marshmallows, help young children. Never shake a roasting marshmallow. It can turn into a flying, flaming ball. A heated metal skewer can cause burns.
· Place campfires and fire pits at least 10 feet away from anything that can burn

Extinguishing Your Campfire
· Allow the wood to burn completely to ash, if possible.
· Pour lots of water on the fire; drown all embers, not just the red ones.
· Pour until hissing sound stops.
· Stir the campfire ashes and embers with a shovel.
· Scrape the sticks and logs to remove any embers.
· Stir and make sure everything is wet and they are cold to the touch.
· If you do not have water, use dirt. Mix enough dirt or sand with the embers. Continue adding and stirring until all material is cool. Remember: do NOT bury the fire as the fire will continue to smolder and could catch roots on fire that will eventually get
to the surface and start a wildfire. REMEMBER: If it is too hot to touch, it’s too hot to leave!

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
· Carbon monoxide (CO), often call the “silent killer,” is an invisible, odorless gas created when fuels (such as kerosene, gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. Carbon monoxide can result from a number of camping equipment, including barbecue grills, portable generators or other fuel-powered devices.
· CO poisoning can result from malfunctioning or improperly vented furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in garages.
· Carbon monoxide levels from barbecue grills or portable generators can increase quickly in enclosed spaces. Campers should keep and use these items in well-ventilated areas to avoid fumes leaking into the openings or vents of RVs and tents.
· Headache, nausea, and drowsiness are symptoms of CO poisoning.
Exposure to CO can be fatal.

Installation of CO Alarms
· Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
· Install and maintain CO alarms inside your recreational vehicles provide early warning of CO.

Portable Generators
· Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated area..
· If you are using a portable generator, make sure you have battery-operated CO alarms or plug-in CO alarms with a battery backup in the camper.

If Your Carbon Monoxide Alarm Sounds
· Immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors.
· Call 9-1-1 from the fresh air location. Remain there until emergency personnel arrive to assist you.

Information provided by The fire Fatality Task Force, for more information Click Here