(912) 354-1011 info@chathames.org

                                    FEBRUARY WEEK 4
                                     CANDLE SAFETY

Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires – and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means it can easily ignite anything that can burn. Roughly one-third of home candle fires started in the bedroom and more than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle.

General Candle Safety
· Consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.
· When using candles, place them in sturdy, safe candleholders that will not burn or tip over.
· Protect candle flames with glass chimneys or containers.
· Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
· Never leave a burning candle unattended. Burning candles can start a fire.
· Avoid using candles in bedrooms, bathrooms, and sleeping areas. Extinguish candles when you leave a room or a home, or go to bed. Keep children and pets away from burning candles.
· Be careful not to splatter wax when extinguishing a candle.
· Never use a candle where medical oxygen is being used. The two can combine to create a large, unexpected fire. Medical oxygen can cause materials to ignite more easily and burn at a faster rate than normal. It can make an existing fire burn faster and hotter.
· Always use a flashlight – not a candle – for emergency lighting.
· Use only battery-powered lights in tents, trailers, motor-homes, and boats.

Candle Use in Home Worship
· Lit candles are used in some religious rites and ceremonies in the home. Candles should be used with care.
· Lit candles should not be placed in windows, where blinds and curtain can close over them, causing a fire.
· Handheld candles should not be passed from one person to another at any time.
· To lower the risk of fire, candles should be used by only a few designated adults.
· Candles placed on or near tables, altars or shrines must be maintained under the supervision of an adult.
· Place candles in sturdy, non-combustible candle holders that do not allow dripping wax to escape through the bottom of the holder.
· If a sturdy, non-combustible candle holder is not available, the candle can be placed on a non-combustible plate.
· A handheld candle should be put out before the person holding it moves from the place of initial lighting.
Once it is put out, the candle should be placed in an approved, non-combustible container.
· The best way to avoid getting burned from splashed wax is to use a candle snuffer instead of blowing on
the flame.

Information provided by the Fire Fatality Task Force, for more information click here  CRR Guide