JANUARY WEEK 3
PET FIRE SAFETY
Pets give us comfort, friendship, and unconditional love. Our connection to them can be among the strongest relationships in our lives. But pets can cause fires. We need to be careful with pets in the home. Pets and wild animals have a part in starting about 700 home fires per year. Roughly ¾ of these fires were started by cooking equipment, fireplaces or chimneys, lighting or candles.
· Pets are curious. They may bump into, turn on, or knock over cooking equipment. Keep pets away from
stoves and countertops.
· Keep pets away from candles, lamps, and space heaters.
· Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace and keep it in place.
· Keep pets away from a chimney’s outside vents. Have a “pet-free zone” of at least 3 feet away from the
fireplace. Glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.
· Consider battery-operated, flameless candles. They can look and smell like real candles.
· Some pets are chewers. Watch pets to make sure they don’t chew through electrical cords. Have any
problems checked by a professional.